Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Pat's Run 2015

Pat's Run
Tempe, AZ
Mileage - 4.2
Time - 21:46
Pace - 5:11
Place - 7th 

The 11th annual "Pat's Run" kicked off Saturday morning just outside of ASU's Sun Devil Stadium. This is a great local event with nearly 30,000 runners and walkers, which just might be the largest road race in the Southwest. This day is dedicated to Pat Tillman, a former ASU football player who died in combat in Afghanistan. The 4.2 mile course ends on the 42 yard line in Frank Kush field, representing his number in the stadium where he played during college.

 So how did the race go? Well, as of Friday I wasn't even sure if I would be participating. Ever since the Phoenix marathon in February my training has been inconsistent without any real structure. A couple minor injuries sprung up as well as seasonal allergies, keeping me from running well these past two months. After a couple treatments and massages these past two weeks, I decided to go for it. All I wanted was to finish under 22 minutes. That meant 5:20 pace or better. In the same fashion as two years prior, a huge pack took off from the start with people dropping off within that initial quarter mile. I felt strong the first two miles and surged to put myself in fourth place at the halfway point. Too early for this strategy, as those high school kids I thought I could drop used me to draft and passed me at the three mile mark. Well played boys. I regrouped with a half mile to go and picked up the pace. I could hear someone closing in and I laid down another surge going into the stadium and the crowd erupted as a footrace ensued as I finished side by side with another guy. His chip time proved to be faster than mine, and I could care less about the actual place, just happy I held my own through the finish chute. After all that, my time was only six seconds behind my 2013 finish.

Thank you Tillman Foundation for another great run and all the volunteers who helped out today!

From their website - Founded in 2004, the Pat Tillman Foundation invests in military veterans and their spouses through educational scholarships – building a diverse community of leaders committed to service to others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment