Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Phoenix Marathon 2015

BMO Harris Phoenix Marathon
Mesa, Arizona
Mileage - 26.2
Time - 2:41:28
Pace - 6:10
Place - 14th Overall

Six months of training went specifically into this race, and unfortunately the wind called the shots today. My goal was to finish in 2:35-2:36, after turning Southbound around mile 14 I knew my second half split wasn't going to be pretty. It was a bummer because I came through the half marathon mark in 1:17:30, right on track.

The wind picked up and my mile pace became worse than the uphill sections when taking the blustery conditions head on.  I had a hard time recovering from the labored running and couldn't seem to get my pace back down to 6:00/mile. In a nutshell, that was the story of the second half. Finishing the marathon felt good, especially given the conditions and a calf problem that concerned me over the last couple days. This was the first time I actually worried I may not complete a race before it even started.  Not the right mind set for a PR.

Best part of the day was hanging out post race with friends and sharing the experience. I love hearing everyone's story! A few changes to the event from 2013 that were less than ideal, but overall, a great race from the Phoenix Marathon.


Finish chute - photo by Pete Weldy


No comments:

Post a Comment