Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Dipsea/Steep Ravine Loop

Dipsea/Steep Ravine Hike
Mount Tamalpais State Park
Marin Headlands, California
Mileage - 3.95
Time - 46 min
AEG - 1,021 ft

It's my last weekend living in Northern California, so I had to do something noteworthy before heading back to Arizona. I debated a couple options and went with the Dipsea-Steep Ravine loop in the Marin Headlands. This is a classic hike with a little bit of everything in just four short miles. In an area loaded with incredible natural and man made features (Muir Woods, Mt Tam, Golden Gate Bridge), this one holds up among the best.

You're probably thinking, "that's it, a mere four mile hike?" My thoughts exactly. I didn't drive 80 miles for a hike lasting less than an hour. A lady working at the Pantoll Ranger Station (where I parked) suggested an alternate loop connecting the Matt Davis, Coastal, Cataract, and Old Mine Trails, which sounded good to me.  Not feeling quite fulfilled with only a few miles under my feet I gave it a go. She was right, it was spectacular! Lush forests, ridgelines with views up the coast, creek crossings, grassy meadows and a panorama of San Francisco I'll never forget. I also found myself in a footrace with a couple wild turkeys for about a hundred yards, which added to the excitement of course. The trail was smooth and gradual, with climbs that hardly raised my heart rate. Those six miles flew by in what felt like seconds, but I was loving every minute of it!






No comments:

Post a Comment