Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The San Jose 408K - Race to the Row

Race to the Row 408K
San Jose, California
Mileage - 4.93 (8K)
Time - 26:19
AEG - 299ft
Pace - 5:18
Place - 12th Overall

A month ago when I moved to California, I had no idea what my race calendar would look like this year.  That changed quickly after signing up for the 408K and Bay to Breakers, as well as a few marathons (Oakland, San Luis Obispo, & San Francisco).  Let the training commence!

I met some of my Baysport co-workers prior to the event for a photo opp, I warmed up and did a few strides.  I couldn't help but notice the guys getting loosened up around me and thought, "man, this looks serious" and then I saw Brett Gotcher.  Enough said.  Anyways, the row refers to the finish area, Santana Row.  The course is point to point, starting from the SAP center downtown, then twisting and turning through the neighborhoods of San Jose, past the Mariachi Mile to its end at the row.  I must say, it was a fun route to run! 

Ahh, the 8K, such an interesting distance to race.  Not as conservative as the 10K, yet more challenging than anything shorter when it comes to dealing with all that lactate build up.  Running hard for 5 miles is...hard.  Given the amount of turns, wet surface, wind and subtle elevation gain, I am happy with the time and effort. I did go out a bit fast the first two miles (close to my previous 5K pace), it was necessary in order to achieve my goal time of 26:00.  Angelyn and John, great job out there today you guys!




    

No comments:

Post a Comment