Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

FUTS Run

Flagstaff Urban Trail System
Sinclair & Soldier Trails
Flagstaff, Arizona
Mileage - 18.25
Time - 2:17
AEG - 392ft

My training schedule called for an 18-mile run this weekend and there's no way I was going to attempt that in Phoenix, not with record high temperatures in the neighborhood of 118-119!  Instead I opted for Flagstaff and chose the urban trail after much research.  The original plan was to do an out-and-back on a dirt road near Parks, AZ until I found something so much better.  As you can see below, it's smooth sailing through town with an incredible view of the mountains!   

Conveniently enough, the hotel we stayed at was only a couple hundred yards away from the Sinclair trail. Nice, right?  So just before 5:30am I headed East through the campus of NAU on a cool morning in the pines.  Easily averaging a 7:30 pace (despite the higher elevation) I made a clockwise loop down to Lake Mary Road, then ventured even further South to Fort Tuthill and rounded out those 18 miles at the hotel near the Woodlands Village.  Most of this route hovered between 6,900-7,000ft with only a few minor hills to climb, and once I got moving it really felt effortless.  There will be more high country runs to come for sure!   









No comments:

Post a Comment