Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pat's Run 2013

Pat's Run
Sun Devil Stadium
Tempe, Arizona
Mileage 4.2
Time - 21:40
AEG - 117ft
Pace - 5:17
Place - 5th Overall

Another race is in the books!  It appears as though 2013 is heading in the right direction, and those past 6 weeks of speed and strength work really paid off.  I was able to run strong and put forth a solid effort from start to finish, landing a top 5 spot in a very competitive race with over 23,000 participants.

The gun sounded just after 7:05am on a cool spring morning perfect for running.  As always, the front runners took off fast, leaving me about 40 people deep in the pack.  By the time we made the first turn over the Mill Avenue bridge I was in 7th.  My good friend Nick Coury of Aravaipa Running had caught up and passed me as we neared the second turn and biggest hill of the 4.2-mile loop course.  I tucked in behind a taller runner to block the headwind going up Curry Rd, which turned out to be a mistake as the slower pace cost me more than sparing a little wind resistance.  At the crest of the hill I made my first surge and gained a little ground putting me shoulder to shoulder with Nick as we made the turn onto College Ave.  We passed the 2-mile mark in 10 minutes and 30 seconds and continued to push each other onward. 

Now Nick and I were in 4th and 5th place respectively.  I kept encouraging him to run faster and we even tried to catch the two guys in front of us (2nd & 3rd place) over the Rural bridge, though it didn't quite work out that way.  It felt like we were flying through the final staging area and into the stadium.  The two of us made our final kick to the finish and came in about a minute faster than anticipated.  What a run!

This is such an awesome event, I'm so glad I could be a part of it.  The Pat Tillman Foundation is a great organization and really doing good for the community, and I was really impressed how they managed 35,000 people in such a small space.

See you next year at Pat's Run



RACE NUTRITION

4:15am - 15oz Water

4:30am - 2/3 Cup Granola w/Chia Seeds (300 Cal)

6:00am - 10oz Water

6:45am - 1 GU Vanilla Bean (100 Cal)

7:05am - Race Start



No comments:

Post a Comment