Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Horton Creek Loop

Horton Creek/Derrick Trail Hike
Tonto National Forest
Christopher Creek, AZ
Mileage - 9.1
Time - 3:28
AEG - 1,970ft


After taking nearly ten days off my feet (running/hiking), I had to get out and do something before I went completely stir-crazy.  This nagging calf injury has really put a damper on my summer training and recreation for the past 5 weeks, so I was very excited to be outdoors and stretch my legs.  Ben and I made a last minute trip up to Payson on Sunday now that the fire ban has been lifted along the base of the Mogollon Rim.


Horton Creek is a very popular summer hiking destination because of the cool weather, great scenery, and a constant flowing stream that creates a microclimate below the rim.  Today we had it all to ourselves.  The only sounds came from nature; running water, birds, and the wind blowing through the trees.  Ahh, how nice! What a way to de-stress. 

A section of our loop crossed paths with the Highline trail #31, the same trail that the Zane Grey 50 mile endurance run is held on in April.  I had a few painful flashbacks from the 2011 race.  Click here for a recap. 




No comments:

Post a Comment