Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lost Dog Loop

McDowell Mountain Trail Run
North Scottsdale, Arizona
Mileage - 15.23
Time - 2:15
AEG - 1,401ft

Another strange monsoonal storm blew through the valley Saturday night, creating some interesting weather patterns and leaving the morning sunrise partially blocked by dust. Windy conditions left heavy (cloud-like) particulate matter in the air, once again, I had no choice but to run through it. The first few miles were a little rough this morning, then I was able to get into a good rhythm and it turned out to be a pretty good run.

I created a new loop in the McDowell Mountains, connecting the Lost Dog trail with the Paradise, Gateway, Westworld, and Taliesin Trails. The route wasn't all that difficult in terms of elevation, it did have enough variety to make it interesting though. The best part of the run was when I encountered a pack of javelinas that stood their ground when I startled them in a wash. I realized why they didn't run away when I saw their young. After seeing how large, and sharp their teeth are at Saturday's tour at the wildlife center, I wanted nothing to do with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment