Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mount Elden 4/2/11


Mt Elden Road/Trail Run
Flagstaff, Arizona
Mileage - 15.25
Time - 2:29
AEG - 2400ft


Phoenix hit a record high on Friday...100 degrees! Not a very funny April Fools joke I must say. So when I got the invite to train with some friends in the high country, I was more than willing to hit the road at 4:30am to join them for a run up Mt Elden. Flagstaff is such a great mountain town, it has a really cool vibe, and you could feel the excitement a beautiful spring day brings to indicate winter has officially come to an end.

Brian, Chris, and I started the run to the summit of Mt Elden at 8:00am following a Forest Service road, steadily gaining 2100ft in 5.5 miles. We weren't alone out there by any means, as this appears to be the training grounds for elite runners in the Flagstaff area. Topping out at 9300ft, I could definitely notice the thin air, although I've never had much of an issue when hiking or running at high altitude. On the way down the three of us, oh wait, did I forget Petzl (Brian's dog), make that four, took a detour to run the Rocky Ridge trail and I was loving every minute of it. Flagstaff has a great trail system, unlike anything the Sonoran Desert has to offer. Brian once described them as "world class," and I would have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment